Birmingham's Curzon Street terminus station building.
The London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR) was an early railway company in the United Kingdom from 1833 to 1846, when it became part of the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR).
The 112-mile (180 km) railway line which the company opened in 1838 between London and Birmingham was the first intercity line to be built into London. It is now the southern section of the West Coast Main Line.
The line was engineered by Robert Stephenson. It started at Euston Station in London, went north-north-west to Rugby, where it turned west to Coventry and on to Birmingham. It terminated at Curzon Street Station, which it shared with the Grand Junction Railway (GJR), whose adjacent platforms gave an interchange with full connectivity (with through carriages) between Liverpool, Manchester and London.