All that remains of Sam Lord's castle.
Located in the parish of St.Philip, Sam Lord's Castle was a beautiful Georgian mansion built in 1820 by the notorious buccaneer Samuel Hall Lord, known as 'Sam Lord'. Legend has it that Sam Lord acquired his wealth by plundering ships, which he lured onto the reefs off the coast, by hanging lanterns in the coconut trees. Captains mistook these lights for Bridgetown and wrecked their ships on the reefs.
The property was run as an exquisite hotel for many years but unfortunately it was consumed by fire in 2010 and is currently closed.
The beach at Sam Lord's Castle is a beautifully secluded one that is perfect for picnics and just relaxing. The sea in the area is quite strong and has underlying currents, so swimming is not recommended